New York

Trump asked his adviser about attacking Iran last week

Washington — President Donald Trump reportedly asked senior advisers last week to launch a military attack on Iran in response to an international inspector who reported a significant increase in Iran’s nuclear stockpiles. ..


What you need to know

  • President Donald Trump asked senior advisers last week about the launch of a military attack on Iran, the New York Times reported.
  • According to The Times, this question was in response to a report by the International Atomic Energy Agency that Iran has significantly increased its stockpile of nuclear material.
  • Advisers reportedly discouraged Trump from proceeding with military action and believe that missile strikes are off the table.
  • Iran said Tuesday that any action against it would face a “catastrophic response.”

At a meeting in the Oval Office on Thursday, Mr. Trump asked about possible options for Iran’s major nuclear sites in the coming weeks, according to the New York Times. According to the newspaper, the president discouraged advisers from proceeding with military action in the last few weeks of his presidency after arguing that military action could easily escalate into a wider conflict.

Among the advisors attending the meeting were Vice President Mike Pence, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, Secretary of Defense Christopher Miller, and General Mark Milley, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, according to the Times. And a former US official for that report.

Trump’s adviser left the meeting, believing that missile attacks were no longer being considered, the report said. However, the president may still be trying to attack Iran’s assets and allies, including Iraqi militias, officials told the Times.

The White House has not responded to Spectrum News’ request for comment.

In response to the Times report, Iran issued a warning to the United States on Tuesday.

“Any action against the Iranian people will certainly face a catastrophic reaction,” spokesman Ali Rabbie said in a statement on the official government website, according to Reuters. It was.

Last week, the International Atomic Energy Agency said in a confidential document filed with UN countries that Iran had a stockpile of low-enriched uranium that was 12 times the limit set by the nuclear agreement, reports said. .. Authorities also said Iran had blocked the inspector from another suspicious location.

According to the Institute for Science and International Security, £ 5,385 of uranium is sufficient to produce about two nuclear weapons. According to The Times, it will take at least a few more months to concentrate uranium into bomb-grade material, and Iran’s progress is slow and steady.

The amount of nuclear material is well below that of Iran before President Barack Obama reached a nuclear agreement with Iran in July 2015. Trump removed the United States from the agreement in 2018, claiming that Iran did not comply with the terms of the agreement. The Iranians initially obeyed the restrictions imposed by the agreement, but eventually began to slowly increase production, saying they would not obey the transactions that the United States violated.

Trump asked his adviser about attacking Iran last week

Source link Trump asked his adviser about attacking Iran last week

Back to top button