Lagos, Nigeria (AP)-There is growing anxiety among the parents of hundreds of students who went missing three days after a shooter attacked a school in Katsina, northern Nigeria.
More than 300 students are missing on Friday night after an attack on Kankara’s boys’ school, Government Sciences Secondary School, according to Katsina Governor Aminu Masari.
According to the government, joint rescue operations were launched on Saturday by Nigerian police, the Air Force, and the military. According to a statement by President Muhammad Buhari, the army was engaged in a gun battle with bandits after finding a hideout in the Zango / Paula forest on Saturday.
According to Katsina State Police spokesman Gambo Isah, when the school was attacked, police engaged in shootouts with shooters, allowing many students to expand the school fence and run for safety. did. The school has more than 600 students.
Salish Mashi said two of his sons were still missing.
“I’m worried that the kids will not have news after three days,” he told The Associated Press. “I was waiting for the authorities to tell me what had happened, but until now nothing was said.”
Another parent, Mustafa Gargaba, said he was very worried because he didn’t know what had happened to his son.
The Governor of Katsina said after meeting with security officials that no group or individual claimed responsibility for the abduction of students.
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres accused the school of attacks on Monday and said in a statement released in New York, “Immediate and unconditional release of kidnapped children and safe return to their families. I asked. “
Several armed groups are active in northwestern Nigeria, where Katsina is located.
According to Amnesty International, the government was unable to bring the attackers to trial, and more than 1,100 people were killed by bandits in an escalation of the attack earlier this year.
Several groups of thieves are active there, but the group known to kidnap for ransom links to the jihadist group Boko Haram and its separatist, the Islamic State of West Africa, known as ISWAP. doing.
Both Boko Haram and ISWAP have kidnapped students in large numbers in the past. The most serious school attack occurred in April 2014, kidnapping more than 270 schoolgirls from a government secondary school dormitory in Chibok, northeastern Borno. About 100 girls are still missing.
A recent incident at Kankara’s Government Science Secondary School is the worst attack on a youth school since February 2014, when 59 boys were killed during the Boko Haram attack on the Federal University of Yobe, Bunyadi.
Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC.
More than 300 students missing after a school attack in Nigeria
Source link More than 300 students missing after a school attack in Nigeria