New York

Judge lifts contempt for former President Donald Trump after two months of court struggle

New York-Donald Trump is no longer a contempt of court, a New York judge ruled Wednesday.

Judge Arthur Engoron declared on April 25 that he had insulted the former president for being slow to respond to the subpoena issued by the Attorney General in New York.

Trump paid $ 110,000 last month as a fine he had accumulated as a result of an insulting discovery. According to Engoron, the money paid directly to Attorney General Letitia James’ office will continue to be stored in an escrow account while Mr. Trump is appealing for his initial derogatory findings.

(Previous coverage of the video player above)

Trump and his two oldest children, Ivanka and Donald Trump Jr., of James starting July 15 after the state Supreme Court rejected his last attempt to evade the subpoena. I will testify under the oath in the investigation.

“We are pleased that the contempt of court sentence has been lifted, but claim that it was completely unjust and inappropriate in the first place,” said Trump’s lawyer, Alina Haba. “We push forward with our appeal to ensure the justice of our clients.”

A message asking for comment was left in James’ office.

The Attorney General asked Engoron to find Trump for contempt of court after failing to prepare a document to meet the March 31 deadline to meet the conditions of the subpoena. Engoron fined Trump $ 10,000 a day for violating it, but stopped fines in early May, when the dispute was likely to be resolved.

Engoron will initially lift Trump’s contempt order on May 11 if he pays a fine and meets certain other conditions, such as searching and filing an affidavit explaining the company’s document retention policy. I agreed.

Engoron and the Attorney General’s office were dissatisfied with the level of detail in Trump’s submissions and enabled insulting discoveries while a new affidavit was being prepared.

The judge will also examine the 17 boxes stored in the offsite storage location, report the results, and submit relevant documents to HaystackID, a company hired by Trump to assist in the search. I requested. The process was completed last month, said the James office.

Engoron stopped being fined on May 6 when Trump’s lawyer submitted a 66-page court document detailing his and his lawyer’s efforts to find a record of the subpoena. He previously warned that if his conditions were not met, he could go back to May 7 and undo it.

In a three-year study, Democrat James revealed evidence that Trump’s company, The Trump Organization, has misunderstood the value of assets such as skyscrapers and golf courses in its financial statements for over a decade. It states.

Her subpoena sought documents related to his annual financial statements, development projects, and even communication with Forbes magazine, where he sought to hone his image as a wealthy businessman.

Republican Trump denied the claim. He called James’s investigation a “racist” and a politically motivated “witch hunt.” James is a black man. Trump’s lawyer accused her of her selective prosecution.

Trump’s lawyer could be used by James in a parallel criminal investigation conducted by Manhattan District Attorney, Alvin Bragg, and also a Democrat, to access information using her civil investigation. Claims to be.

A federal judge dismissed Trump’s proceeding against James last month, rejecting his allegations that she targeted him for political hostility, and continuing her civil investigation into his business practices. Allowed.

In a court hearing on the matter, a lawyer at James’ office said the evidence found in the investigation could uphold a proceeding against the former president, his company, or both.

Attorney Andrew Amer said in a hearing in Trump’s proceedings against James that “it is clear that there is a significant amount of evidence to support the submission of enforcement proceedings.” No final decision has been made regarding the submission. ..

Copyright © 2022 By AP communication. all rights reserved.



Judge lifts contempt for former President Donald Trump after two months of court struggle

Source link Judge lifts contempt for former President Donald Trump after two months of court struggle

Back to top button