New York

Fire extinguished at Georgia chemical plant, evacuation order lifted

November 7 (UPI) — A fire at a chemical plant in Brunswick, Georgia, early Monday morning has been extinguished, officials said, lifting evacuation orders for residents living near the blaze.

Shortly before 4 a.m. on Monday, a fire was reported at the Simrise chemical plant on Colonel’s Island in Port Brunswick, and Glynn County officials ordered the Satira Shores and Royal Oaks to be demolished as a precautionary measure from smoke and potential. Ordered evacuation of 1 mile radius of site containing. explosion.

The cause of the fire was unknown, but Glynn County officials said the chemical came from factory-produced hydrogen peroxide, pinene.

Glyn County officials said on Monday: evening updateThe fire was extinguished and the evacuation order was lifted.

The county’s Emergency Management and Homeland Security Agency said in a statement, “The crew will eventually complete monitoring the tank, closing valves and extinguishing the spot fire on site.

Responders will soon cover the area with foam blankets to help curb smoke from the plants and cool the hotspots, officials said.

Brunswick Police Department first reported an eruption At the factory where “multiple” explosions were heard. Authorities evacuated the factory shortly thereafter, describing the blaze as an “uncontrolled fire.”

Officials said fewer than 10 worked in a factory when a fire breaks out. No worker casualties were reported, but one firefighter was injured during the firefighting effort.

Firefighters must take extra precautions to combat blazes due to pollutants and increased safety measures, according to Glyn County, tanks on site not being safely vented and responders returning to safety Progress slowed down early on because of the need.

Now that the fire has been extinguished, the Georgia Fire Department will begin investigating the blaze immediately, officials said.Once the plant is cleared, it will be returned to the company. Fire extinguished at Georgia chemical plant, evacuation order lifted

Back to top button